I love a good carrot cake. I must admit, I like more vanilla than spice. So, this recipe is not super heavy on the spice for the carrot cake. It’s just enough cinnamon to let you know it’s there. But, it’s certainly not overpowering. Why if you want, you can add a bit of nutmeg, ginger, or allspice to spice things up. If not, then the recipe below works just as well.
For the Twinkies
1 cup of non-flavored oil, like vegetable, canola or corn
1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 cup of minced or grated carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, buttermilk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to combine.
4. Mix in the salt, baking soda, cinnamon, grated carrots and flour until well combined.
5. Pour into molds and bake for 8-12 minutes.
*A great way to test if they’re done is to stick a toothpick in the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean, then it’s done.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 8oz packages of cream cheese
2 1/2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
About 1 cup of very cold heavy cream
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whip until fluffy.
2. Use a piping bag and a tip to stuff the frosting into the twinkies.