I once heard someone say that chicken thighs are like the new bacon. I completely agree. I love a chicken thigh and try to mix and match them any way I can. This recipe is easy because you brown them, then make the sauce, then let them simmer – it’s easy. And it’s a chicken thigh so you know the meat will be super tender and juicy. Here’s the recipe!
Wine Braised Chicken Thighs
1 1/2 pounds of chicken thighs, patted dry
1 tablespoon of Kosher salt
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of vegetable or canola oil
1 cup of chopped onion
1 cup of chopped bell pepper (your choice)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 cups of good white wine
1 cup of good chicken stock
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs (I used parsley, sage, and chives)
1. Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Then dust the chicken thighs in the flour and shake off the excess and set aside.
2. Preheat the vegetable oil. When hot, add the chicken thighs to the pan and sear them on both sides until they’re golden brown. They will not be cooked through. Remove the browned thighs from the pan and set aside.
3. Drain off the excess oil and saute the onions, bell peppers, and garlic until fragrant. Then, pour in the wine and chicken stock and scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan. This makes for a great sauce.
4. Once the sauce comes to a boil, reduce the heat and add the chicken thighs back to the pan. Cook them on low for 25 minutes or until they’re cooked through. If the liquid starts to evaporate too much, add a little more wine or chicken stock until the chicken has cooked through.
5. Once the chicken is done, remove from the pan. Whisk in the butter and chopped herbs. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Add the chicken back to the pan and keep warm until serving.
Never Miss an Update!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
I’m into fitness and I’m a kidney Transplant patient and your recipe is the only one that doesn’t my me feel bad Thank you.
I made this chicken this recipe I would say it deserves 2 stars. I am not sure if this is suppose to be a healthy recipe but I found it to be a little bit greasy I do not feel you need a cup of oil .after cooking the chicken it looked nothing like the picture it looked more like smothered chicken with gravy.I did follow the recipe step by step and doubled the recipe. Did not add add salt you get enough salt from the chicken stock.
I made this and it looked nothing like the recipe. I think it needs less oil, less wine, and no additional butter. It was very greasy. It does look like smothered chicken. I will probably take the sauce and just turn it into gravy. The wine overpowers everything. I will remove the sauce and reserve 1/2 cup to add to my gravy and add more stock. Wish there was another to fix it.