I think there’s nothing better than a traditional German chocolate cake on the the holiday table. But, every once in a while, I believe you should be able to switch it up. Here’s how I upgraded the classic dessert.
Mini German Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1 cup of non-flavored oil, like vegetable, canola or corn
1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, buttermilk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to combine.
4. Mix in the salt, baking soda, flour, and cocoa powder until well combined.
5. Pour into mini cupcake liners and bake for 8-12 minutes.
*A great way to test if they’re done is to stick a toothpick in the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean, then it’s done.
For the frosting:
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 cup of brown sugar
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup of butter
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup of flaked coconut
1 cup of chopped pecans
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combined.
2. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat while constantly stirring until the mixture thickens.
Never Miss an Update!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.