Vegan Collard Green Gumbo & Hot Water Cornbread

Here’s my theory. Just because we’re eating somewhat healthy and 100% plant based doesn’t mean the food has to lack flavor. I love taking the flavors I grew up with and presenting them in brand new ways. I will admit, I didn’t grow up eating and cooking gumbo. But, one trip to Bourbon Street and I started to understand!!! So, now, I take what I did grow up eating and introduce it to my time spent in New Orleans for a wonderful treat!

Collard Green Gumbo
1 cup of Canola oil
3/4 cup of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of diced onion
3/4 cup of diced green bell pepper
3/4 cup of diced celery
About 8 cups (sometimes a bit more) of vegetable stock
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of gumbo file
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of fresh black pepper
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (there’s a vegan version out)
A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
About 3/4 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning (non-salted)
About 3/4 tablespoon of Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning
4 cups of frozen chopped collard greens

Here’s how you do it. Start by using a large pot that can withstand some heat. Heat it on the stove. When the pan is hot, add in the oil. Have the flour ready on standby. When the oil is at the point where it just starts smoking, add in the flour and stir. Stir well and you’ll need to continue to stir so nothing burns. The goal is to get the roux to a nice dark chocolate color. Once you’re there, add in the diced onion, diced bell pepper, and diced celery. Let the vegetables cook for about 5 minutes – while stirring occasionally – then, add in the vegetable stock.

At this point, reduce the heat and add in all of the other ingredients. Allow the gumbo to cook for about 30 minutes until it’s rich and thick. At this point, it’s a good time to taste it. See, here’s the deal when you’re cooking a big pot of stew like this. Some days, you’ll have to add more salt and then other days, you’ll have added enough. The only way to know is to taste it. If it needs more salt, add in a bit more of the Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning just to make sure your flavors are on point.

Never Miss an Update!

Subscribe to get our latest content by email.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Tell Us What You Think
1Like3Love0Haha0Wow0Sad0Angry

0 Comments

• Shayla
    Posted January 13, 2018 11:06 pm 0Likes

i couldnt find in store so I ordered it from amazon.

• Jean Harris
    Posted January 14, 2018 3:51 am 0Likes

Hi Doris, have you made a cookbook yet. I would love to see what other ideas you have for our household cooking.

• Cathy Scales
    Posted January 14, 2018 3:37 pm 0Likes

Is self rising cornmeal used for hot water cornbread and, no egg is used as a binder?

• Nita
      Posted February 28, 2018 8:32 pm 0Likes

I think it is regular cornmeal, that is what I use.

• Janis Perry
    Posted January 18, 2018 5:15 pm 0Likes

Darius you are A Gift from The Most High God!! I Am A Newbie in this Here Vegan Life And I Am Enjoying The Journey! I have Always been Health Conscience! But You Have helped me take it to A whole Nutha Level! Lol Thank You for All That You For Us!.. I don’t know You Personally but I Love You Man! 🤗

• Lori
    Posted January 19, 2018 2:49 pm 0Likes

For those looking for the cornbread recipe:
    “I served my gumbo with hot water cornbread. It was so easy to make. I just put 3 cups of cornmeal mix into a bowl. Then, I added in about 1 1/2 cups of hot water. The idea is to make it into a thick batter. Then, I heated about a half inch of Canola oil in a skillet and poured in a big spoonful. I was sure to spread it out kinda thin in the pan. Then, once it was golden brown on one side, I flipped it and cooked it on the other side until it was cooked through.”

It’s in the last paragraph above. 🙂

• Tracey Coleman
    Posted January 21, 2018 6:23 pm 0Likes

So how about all of you who are offended unfollow. So simple. I’m from Louisiana and this isn’t offensive because he’s not making a mockery of the dish. He’s giving an alternative when you don’t eat meat. Simple. If you still eat meat, then by all means, make your gumbo recipe. But don’t knock this man for trying to give people an alternative to fit their lifestyle. I can’t understand why people live to criticize instead of commend his efforts. If you have suggestions, email him!! He’s given his email address for you to do just that, but publicly condemning him helps how??? I live what DariusCooks is doing here. I’ve been vegan since July of last year and it’s great to have more recipes to add to the collection!! Keep up the amazing work!! Every dish I’ve cooked from your recipes have been amazing!!!

• Cara
    Posted January 22, 2018 5:45 pm 0Likes

How many servings does this recipe yield?

• Ms. LaLa
    Posted January 23, 2018 12:16 am 0Likes

I truly agree. I am a pescatarian but I also enjoy vegan meals and I feel the type of recipe that he’s giving to help a new lifestyle change I commend him and I thank him. The ones that feel it’s an insult because he called his meal a gumbo if you happen to know and understand the meaning of gumbo he’s giving you everything a gumbo requires just in a healthier way.

• Trackback: Collard Green Gumbo… – Journey to Thy Self
  • Lynnette Drew
    Posted June 3, 2018 10:33 pm 0Likes

Thank you so much for sharing alternatives with flavor for us transitioning folks.