So, listen. I love a burrito bowl. It’s everything! Like, literally. It hits the spot in so many ways. Plus, everything is fresh. I mean, it really is a bang for the buck you spend. The best part is that you can load up on your faves and they’re all healthy and good for you – and great tasting too! I veganized this by adding jackfruit as the carnitas and added vegan sour cream. The. Whole. Bowl. Is. Empty! Enough said – let’s get cooking.
1 can of jackfruit, drained and shredded
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of olive oil
1 can of red enchilada sauce
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1 good pinch of salt
1 good pinch of pepper
To make the carnitas, just heat the olive oil in a skillet. When it’s hot, add in the jackfruit and garlic. Cook for about 60 seconds and then add in the enchilada sauce and the seasonings. Cook for about 3 minutes on medium high heat. Then serve.
Here’s how I served mine:
1. With Cilantro Lime Rice. Its my regular rice recipe. When the rice is done cooking, I just add fresh squeezed lime juice and garlic before I fluff it.
Here’s a video for the rice:
2. With homemade pico de gallo. Just add chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, salt, pepper, a bit of sugar, and a bit of oil to a bowl. I load mine up with fresh chopped cilantro. Done.
3. With black beans: Honestly, I just drained a can of black beans and boiled them in vegetable stock and taco seasoning for about 5 minutes.
4. With roasted peppers & onions. I sliced them, drizzled them with olive oil and taco seasoning and roasted in the oven until caramelized.
5. With homemade guacamole. 1 avocado smashed with some of the pico de gallo from step #2.
6. A dollop of vegan sour cream.
For more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox, subscribe below:
Never Miss an Update!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.