I know, it’s been like forever. Well, really only a few days. But, Hurricane Irma came through and kinda wrecked shop over here. We were without power for 26 hours. All the food in the fridge went bad. But, that’s okay. We’re safe – and that’s all that matters. Besides, just another reason (as if I needed one) to head to the farmer’s market.
I went this morning, picked up more fish, and decided low carb was the way to go with this one. Enjoy!
Crispy Cod with Bacon & Leeks
2 6-ounce cod fillets
a sprinkle of salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of good olive oil
For the sauce,
5 strips of bacon, diced
1 cup of leeks, sliced thin
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 cup of good white wine
1/4 cup of chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs
2 tablespoons of butter
1..Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, get a cast iron skillet hot by placing it over medium high heat.
2. Meanwhile, Liberally season the fish with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Then, coat the fish in the flour and set aside.
3. When the oil is hot, add the fish to the skillet and cook on one side until golden brown. Then, flip the fish and place it in the oven to cook through. Cook to desired temperature and set aside.
4. While the fish is cooking, saute the bacon, garlic, and leeks in olive oil until the bacon is cooked through.
5. Add in the white wine, chicken stock, Italian herbs, and butter. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until the sauce is thick.
**Note: If you need to cut the acid a bit from the wine, a pinch of sugar will do.
6. To serve, place the sauce in the bottom of a plate. Then, top it with the fish. I added some mixed greens and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to complete the dish.