I sit. I think. How many ways can I use chicken? LOL – no, seriously. You may laugh, but it’s true. Who doesn’t love a trip to Popeye’s for chicken and biscuits? So, why not combine the two – put them on a stick and find something to dip them in? Dipping is always fun. Hence, today’s post – chicken & biscuit skewers with sausage & herb gravy!!! Besides – this is perfect for your game day recipe arsenal!
Fried Chicken Nuggets
2 large chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, cut into about 2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
½ teaspoon of granulated garlic
2 cups of flour
1 cup of cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten with about a tablespoon of water
Oil for Frying
1 can of refrigerator biscuits
Small biscuit cutter (you could even use the cap of a 2 liter soda bottle)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut the biscuits down to size using a small biscuit cutter and bake them in the oven until golden brown.
3. Preheat the oil for frying.
4. Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
5. Toss the chicken in the egg wash mixture and then dredge in a bowl mixed with the flour and cornstarch.
6. Fry them up until they’re golden brown.
7. Put the chicken and biscuits on a skewer and serve.
To Make the Gravy
½ pound of sausage
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
¼ cup of minced onion
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of half and half
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt, to taste
1. Cook the sausage, onion, and garlic together in the butter until the sausage is just cooked through.
2. Throw in the fresh thyme and flour. Cook out the flour for about 60 seconds while constantly stirring.
3. Add in the half and half. Be sure to stir and scrape any bits that may be on the bottom of the pan. Once the mixture comes to a boil, it will thicken.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve.