If you’re not following me on Periscope (@DariusCooks) or Facebook Live (Facebook.com/DariusCooks), what are you waiting for? I normally jump on and just start cooking. I did last night! I’ll post the video from Katch below!
Corn & Lobster Chowder
-1 cup of double smoked bacon, chopped
-1 whole onion, chopped
-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
-1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
-1/4 cup of good rum
-4 cups of water
-2 teaspoons of lobster base
-4 cups of frozen corn
-1 pint of heavy cream
-2 teaspoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons of cold water
-salt and pepper to taste
-cilantro oil, for garnish (recipe to follow)
1. In a large pot, saute the bacon and onion until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the thyme and fresh cracked pepper and cook for a few minutes together. Then, add the rum and light a flame in the pot. This will start the flambe process and will help cook off all the alcohol.
3. Once the alcohol has cooked off, add the water, lobster base, and corn and bring to a boil.
4. Then, reduce the heat and all the cream. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and it will thicken immediately. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
5. Serve by adding the soup to a bowl and then top with cilantro oil. Also, serve with garlic bread.
*For the cilantro oil, just put 1 punch of cilantro, 2 garlic cloves, a pinch of salt, and pepper, into a blender and turn on the motor. Stream in olive oil and blend until the oil just comes together. Use this cilantro oil as a garnish to any soup or stew.
For the garlic bread, just combine 3/4 stick of butter in a bowl with a tablespoon of dried Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Then, spread over baguettes and toast in the oven, 350 degrees, until golden brown.